Gooder Eve: The Harvester Class


Gooder Eve is a series of on-going articles that examine ways in which Eve can be made Gooder.  Some are serious, some are not, but all are intended to create debate, dialogue, and discussion.  So enjoy! ]

As you all know by now, I am not an industrialist, miner, misson-runner, or anything other than a Pirate. And while that might make labeling me easier, it doesn't mean that I don't understand or think about other play-styles in Eve. For one thing, knowing how and why other people do things does make it easier to catch and destroy them from doing those things.

But driving into work today I was thinking about a lot of things. The Moon issues in Null Space, the return on mining, resources, building things, increased prices, Cap ship re-balancing, and other issues all swirling around in my head... when suddenly this idea popped in there.

Whenever this happens my first inclination is to kill it dead. I've learned long ago that if an idea can't survive this intense desire I have, then it wasn't a good idea in the first place. It survived and kept rattling around in my head all day.

So here it is plain and simple. Written as an imaginary Press Release from CCP:

August 2013: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CCP is proud to announce the introduction of an entirely new class of Capital Ship to EVE Online - The Harvester Capital Class. These mammoth refineries have been developed by the four Empire's of New Eden to provide a unique and newly developed service to our pilots. Each one incorporates a freshly researched ability to mine the Solar atmosphere of system stars - breaking down the ejecta by a complex and strange science process into its component parts - providing unique and rare elements previously only available thru Moon Harvesting in distant Null Space Regions. And while these new Harvester Class ships cannot produce the volume of distant Moon Harvesters, they do produce a higher quality result. We believe this will open up entirely new and potentially profitable options for hi-sec and low-sec mining operations on a scale unheard of in New Eden's history.

As I said, I'm no expert on this subject. But experts aren't the ones that usually come up with new ideas either, new ideas happen to be something I am an expert at. Not just in Eve.

So I'll leave the yelling and screaming to the experts who probably already know why this is a bad idea. But maybe, as is often the case, one idea leads to another which ultimately leads us to a gooder idea.

The point of these Gooder Eve posts has never been about being "right or wrong" but they have always been about starting a conversation and throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks.

I thought Capital Class, but they could be BS Class. Giant Ram-Scoop like industrial ships parked in orbit around Stars, gathering the ejecta and transforming it into much needed ( and balancing! ) minerals.

Sounded gooder to me. What are your thoughts?